Wednesday 4 September 2013

People who are familiar with me know that my favourite movie is Wayne's World. Saturday Night Live's classic 90's film is so great that it is the reason I live my life by saying "live in the now" and "if you're going to spew, spew into this".

Over five months ago, "living in the now" resulted in unprotected sex.

Luckily, no sexually transmitted diseases were contracted, but I did get pregnant.

At the time I was numb. Being the anxiety-fuelled creature I am (despite my refusal to seek medical help) for the first time in my life I felt nothing. I remember crying because I thought I had to and quickly made a decision to rid myself of the cells which were created in a blur of natural instincts.

This impulsive decision was shut down by the other "baby-maker" whose refusal to abort made me change my mind and shift my attitude to a can-do outlook. Days later, with my mind set to carry and raise a child, baby-daddy had changed his mind and was not seen or heard of for four long months.

Fuelled by a cocktail of hate, anger, resentment and exhaustion, I spent a month battling my choice and wishing life would stop. When you're in a slum it's near impossible to bring yourself out, add to that a roller-coaster of hormones and expectations from others, and it's nearly a recipe for disaster. Nearly.

Hours were spent scrolling through the internet reading forum after forum about girls who, like me, were alone, young, pregnant and afraid. I formed a bond with these strangers whose honesty forced me to wake up and look at this as the best thing that will ever happen to me.

The overwhelming emotions came when seeing the joy on the faces of those whom I love so dearly. My family saw this as a miracle, my friends were thrilled (and no doubt concerned) about the prospect of being designated Aunties and Uncles, and secret loves were so supportive it broke my heart.

But it was this feedback which I needed, and will forever be grateful for. It's heart shattering to know that there are people out there who don't have the amount of support I am fortunate to have.

Five months down the track, I am still pregnant, and admittedly still coming to terms with being a young single mother.

Everyday is still a battle. But the sad and scared moments are becoming less and less frequent and I'm experiencing new emotions. Being a "preppy girl" (not my words, but those of many I have encountered), you would think euphoria would be a familiar sensation. But oh no, no, no. It wasn't until a month ago when the little boy inside me started kicking that I was overwhelmed by love and euphoria - emotions I know will stick with me forever.

My maternal instincts officially kicked in when I was rushed into hospital a few weeks back to have not one, but two emergency surgeries. Aware that both me and baby were at risk, the week in hospital was the hardest week I have ever faced in my short and dramatic life. My natural instinct to protect the wee guy growing inside me turned me into an emotional and helpless wreck. For two days I lay in bed crying for someone to check on the baby who hadn't kicked in a long time. Having just experienced love for the creature sharing my body and knowing that they were in danger is something I would not wish upon anyone. Luckily bubs was, and still is, a healthy little buggar.

The decision I unknowingly made five months ago is something I will carry, raise, and love for the rest of my life. Who knows, some day I could win Mother of the Year Award and will be able to raise both my arms and son up in triumph to show that despite the shit that life throws at us everyday, it can be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment